I am always looking for healthy ways to make foods we’d normally get as takeout or go to a restaurant and eat. There is only one good authentic Mexican restaurant in the area so I had to find a way to get our fix at home when I’m too lazy to drive 20 minutes for carnitas!!
Well this sure hit the spot!! It’s easy in the Instant Pot and makes a good amount of carnitas for burritos or tacos or burrito bowls.
2 TBSP. olive oil
2 tsp. kosher salt
1 tsp. ground cumin
½ tsp. ancho chile powder
½ tsp. chipotle chile powder
½ tsp. black pepper
2-3 lbs. pork shoulder roast, cut into 2-inch chunks
1 onion, sliced
6 cloves garlic, crushed—We like garlic, but this could be easily cut in half
2 tsp. dried oregano—I actually had Mexican oregano in the house so used that, but regular oregano would work just fine
1 cinnamon stick (3 inch)
1 ½ C. pulp free orange juice
½ C. strained lime juice
- Whisk together oil, salt, cumin, chile powders, and pepper.
- Toss pork in oil-spice mixture.
- Set Instant Pot to sauté and brown the pork.
- Once browned, stir in the onion, garlic, oregano, and cinnamon stick.
- Add in orange and lime juices.
- Place lid on pressure cooker, lock and set to high pressure. Cook for 28 min.
- Once the Instant Pot beeps, turn it OFF. Mare sure it is not on the “warm” setting. You can just unplug it.
- Allow pressure to release naturally.
- While the Instant Pot is releasing pressure, preheat your over to 500 degrees and cover a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Once all pressure has released, transfer pork to a plate or cutting board and shred with two forks.
- Transfer shredded pork to the lined baking sheet.
- Degrease liquids from cooker and discard fat. Pour ¼ C. of the strained cooking liquid over the pork.
- Bake pork until it starts to brown, about 10 minutes. Check every couple of minutes and mix if getting too browned.
- Serve pork with whole wheat tortillas or rice. And top with your favorite toppings like avocado, salsa Verde and shredded cheese.
Makes 8 servings.
**STEPS 9-12 CAN BE OMITTED IF YOU’RE PRESSED FOR TIME. THESE STEPS JUST MAKE THE PORK A LITTLE CRISPY. IF THIS ISN’T YOUR THING OR CAN’T BE BOTHERED, DEFINITELY JUST SKIP IT!!**