This is an easy, hearty, clean eating meal, loaded with chickpeas and vegetables in every bite is so flavorful with and perfect for a cold winter night. This is a great way to get in some veggies!! My husband is not a big tomato fan but loves this soup! The rosemary gives it little bit of a kick!
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup diced carrots
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (15 oz) cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes
- 3 cups reduced sodium chicken broth (or vegetable broth for vegetarians)
- 1 fresh rosemary sprig
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh basil
- fresh black pepper, to taste
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese, plus extra optional for garnish
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the carrots, celery, onion, garlic and saute until tender and fragrant, about 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer to the crock pot along with the broth, tomatoes, chickpeas, parmesan cheese, and pepper. Add the rosemary, bay leaves and basil, cover and cook on low for 6 hours.
- When done add the spinach. Remove bay leaves, rosemary sprig and season to taste with salt and black pepper. Ladle soup into bowls and top with extra parmesan cheese if desired.
Yield: 6 servings, Serving Size: 1 1/2 cups
21 Day Fix: 1 ¼ GREEN, 1 ¼ YELLOW, ¼ BLUE, 1 tsp OIL
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 215, Total Fat: 3g, Saturated Fat: g, Cholesterol: 2.5mg, Sodium: 387mg, Carbohydrates: 36g, Fiber: 6g, Sugar: 6g, Protein: 9g
Adapted from Skinnytaste.